Learn to Sail realizes the value of our volunteers and know there is a limited pool of them in the community who are year-round residents and who are interested in teaching kids to sail. Volunteers need to get help with problems and answers to their questions. They need to feel productive, do work that challenges them, and have an opportunity to grow. They also need to know they are valued for what they do. To have highly satisfied volunteers, we have defined a Volunteer Program that that entails the following:
· A designated volunteer coordinator. Coordinating volunteers should not be a shared responsibility that staff attends to when they have “spare time.” Our volunteers deserve more.
· A defined volunteer program, with the role of volunteers in our organization and position descriptions.
· A volunteer training program and supporting materials including a Learn to Sail Volunteer handbook.
· A clear set of rules for our volunteers.
· A recruitment and management plan.
· A recognition program including an annual awards ceremony.